Somalia: Federal Govt, Puntland at loggerheads over Mudug

Image

GAROWE, Somalia, April 30, 2015 (Garowe Online)-Somalia’s Federal Government and Puntland have come to loggerheads over the future of Mudug region, edging consultative conference on the framework for action closer to collapse on Thursday, Garowe Online reports.

Puntland MP Saed Abdi Samatar (Surcad) who is representing the northeastern state in the ongoing meeting told Garowe Online that Mogadishu-based federal government delegates showed off reluctance about the proposed split of Mudug.

“Before everything, Puntland wants to come on board, and get clarified on the status of Mudug which was split into North and South,” said Surcad. “Somalia Federal Government representatives in the conference hall tried to keep us in dark about the matter, but we are keen to find ways for the matters besetting central state formation”.

Somalia Government and Puntland officials are discussing the sticking point that gave rise to the fresh dispute with President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and Puntland leader.

On July 30, 2014, Puntland protested the inclusion of Mudug in central state Map, withdrawing support for UN-backed weak central government. 

GAROWE ONLINE 

Related Articles

Court in Somalia’s Galkayo Sentences Woman to Death for Killing of 14-Year-Old Girl

Sabiriin’s body, which had not been buried while the trial was ongoing, is expected to be released to her family on Monday afternoon for burial.

  • Puntland

    24-11-2025

  • 01:35PM

Somalia: Puntland forces seize last ISIS hideout, detain two Somali fighters

The two men were among a small number of Somali fighters who had been sheltering in the Baallade valley.

  • Puntland

    22-11-2025

  • 07:33PM