Inside the U.S. Military’s Expanding Shadow War Against ISIS in Somalia
BOSASO, Somalia - The US Africa Command has increased airstrikes against the ISIS-Somalia militants in the northeastern parts of Somalia, with the number going up in 2025, a significant increase from just 10 in the entire year of 2024.
So far, the US Africa Command has conducted 59 airstrikes against Islamic State militants in the Bari region, who are now limited to the Cal-Miskaad mountains. The operation was first initiated by the Puntland Counter-Terrorism Forces in December 2024.
U.S. aircraft launching from an aircraft carrier were shown in official photographs accompanying the media statement about the attacks. Ahmed Soliman, senior research fellow, Africa Program, Chatham House, told Fox News Digital that the US could be keen to eliminate another international terror network on the rise.n
"The U.S. focus on [ISIS] in Puntland is partially driven by the goal of preventing another international [ISIS] "haven from emerging, as well as the potential threat from ISIS-Somalia’s recruitment of foreign fighters."
So far, U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has confirmed to Fox News Digital on Friday that it conducted 10 airstrikes in 2024 and that it has carried out more than 100 airstrikes in Somalia so far this year. A total of 101 airstrikes have been carried out in Somalia targeting both ISIS and al-Shabab.
In the latest military action on Tuesday, AFRICOM personnel were involved in an airstrike and reportedly a gun battle lasting up to four hours with ISIS-Somalia jihadists in Puntland, in the north of this African country. The operation was conducted, AFRICOM said in a media statement, "in coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia.
Multiple local sources reported high-value ISIS targets were hit, with reports that a high-level terror leader was either killed or captured, and up to 10 terrorists killed. There are no reports of U.S. casualties.
This attack is the latest in a series of missions over Somalia against various jihadi groups, primarily ISIS, ISIS-Somalia, and the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab.
An AFRICOM spokesperson told Fox News Digital on Thursday that the U.S. "conducted an airstrike approximately 66 km southeast of Bossaso. To date, we’ve completed 101 airstrikes in Somalia — 59 of which have specifically targeted ISIS-Somalia. In coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia, we continue to take action to degrade ISIS-Somalia and al-Shabab’s ability to threaten the U.S. Homeland, our forces, and our citizens abroad."
Local sources report that in this latest attack, U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones first dropped missiles on the terrorists, who were said to be in and around a large cave. This was reportedly followed by an attack using 10 helicopters. During the battle, several sources claim U.S. troops disembarked from the helicopters.
But U.S. military officials dismissed the fact that American forces stepped onto Somali soil, stressing there was no ground operation by American troops, stating twice that such reports are inaccurate. In a public statement, AFRICOM stated, "Specific details about units and assets will not be released to ensure continued operational security."
In August, AFRICOM stated that they carried out multiple airstrikes against ISIS fighters, with AFRICOM Commander Gen. Dagvin Anderson saying, "These lethal strikes demonstrate our resolve and commitment to ensuring Americans and our partners remain safe from the threat of global terrorism." The general continued that the strikes were aimed "against an organization that wishes to export its terror to the U.S. and our allies."
GAROWE ONLINE