Puntland Minister Accuses Somali Government of Secret Deal with Al-Shabaab

Image

GAROWE, Somalia – Puntland’s Minister of Information, Mahmud Caydiid Dirir, accused the Somali federal government on Saturday of striking a secret agreement with the militant group Al-Shabaab after failing to protect the country from insurgent attacks.

Speaking to journalists in Garowe, Dirir said the alleged deal aimed to halt Al-Shabaab’s military offensives, citing the recent dismissal of Abdullahi Sanbalolshe, the former head of the National Intelligence and Security Agency (NISA), who was replaced by Mahad Salaad, a close ally of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.

“Villa Somalia (the presidential palace) has a secret agreement with Al-Shabaab,” Dirir said. “To implement this deal, NISA’s intelligence chief Sanbalolshe was removed, and efforts to counter Al-Shabaab’s offensive in the Hiiraan region were blocked.”

He added that the agreement was intended to stop the fighting with Al-Shabaab, undermining military operations against the group in south and central Somalia. Garowe Online, however, could not independently verify the minister's claims. 

Opposition politicians have previously alleged collusion between some federal government officials and military commanders with Al-Shabaab, hampering efforts to bring lasting peace to Somalia.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

AU Reaffirms Somalia’s Sovereignty, Condemns Israel’s Recognition of Somaliland

The African Union reiterated that preserving Somalia’s territorial integrity remains fundamental to stability in the Horn of Africa.

  • Somalia

    16-02-2026

  • 11:32AM

Türkiye sends drilling vessel to Somalia for historic offshore energy mission

Under the 2024 production-sharing agreement, Türkiye will receive up to 90% of the initial revenue to recover exploration and operational costs.

  • Somalia

    15-02-2026

  • 12:41PM