More than 1,000 suspected rebels surrender in western Ethiopia

Image

ADDIS ABABA - More than 1,000 suspected rebels have surrendered in recent days in Ethiopia’s western Benishangul-Gumuz regional state, local officials said Wednesday.

Benishangul-Gumuz regional state communications affairs office said in a press statement that the ethnic Gumuz rebels surrendered through a local reconciliation scheme. Before their surrender, they had been operating in the Metekel zone of the region for more than three years.

Last month, the Benishangul-Gumuz regional state communications affairs office announced the surrender of 247 rebels.

The statement also said the individuals are members of a banned rebel group, the Benishangul Peoples Democratic Movement (BPDM).

In recent years, deadly inter-communal violence, as well as rebel attacks in the East African country’s western region has killed thousands of civilians and displaced more than 100,000 others.

Benishangul-Gumuz region, located along the Ethiopia-Sudan border, hosts Ethiopia’s largest development project — the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), which is under construction on the Blue Nile River with a construction cost of close to 5 billion U.S. dollars.

Related Articles

From Counterterrorism to the Coastline: Why Ethiopia and the U.S. Are Deepening Defense Cooperation

Field Marshal Berhanu Jula met on Friday in Addis Ababa with a U.S. delegation led by Gen. Dagvin R. M. Anderson of U.S. Africa Command.

  • Africa

    26-11-2025

  • 07:14AM

Tensions Between Eritrea and Ethiopia Rise as Addis Ababa Seeks Access to the Red Sea

Last month, Ethiopia's army chief Field Marshall Birhanu said they would fight Eritrea for denying them access to the Red Sea.

  • Africa

    25-11-2025

  • 05:06AM