UN chief welcomes news of food aid reaching Ethiopia's Tigray

Image

UNITED NATIONS -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Wednesday welcomed the news that trucks with food assistance and fuel have reached Tigray and Afar following the declaration of the humanitarian truce.

Through a statement, the top UN official called on all parties "to keep the momentum" and to follow through on their commitments to facilitate the provision of humanitarian assistance to all people in need.

He reiterated his call for "the restoration of public services" in Tigray, including banking, electricity, and telecommunications, as well as commercial access.

"The United Nations reiterates its unwavering commitment to supporting a peaceful and prosperous future for all Ethiopians," the statement said.

Related Articles

From Counterterrorism to the Coastline: Why Ethiopia and the U.S. Are Deepening Defense Cooperation

Field Marshal Berhanu Jula met on Friday in Addis Ababa with a U.S. delegation led by Gen. Dagvin R. M. Anderson of U.S. Africa Command.

  • Africa

    26-11-2025

  • 07:14AM

Tensions Between Eritrea and Ethiopia Rise as Addis Ababa Seeks Access to the Red Sea

Last month, Ethiopia's army chief Field Marshall Birhanu said they would fight Eritrea for denying them access to the Red Sea.

  • Africa

    25-11-2025

  • 05:06AM