Airstrike destroys Al-Shabaab's makeshift bridge in Somalia

Image
Somali security officials secure the road after Islamist group al Shabaab hit a European Union armoured convoy in Mogadishu, Somalia on Oct. 1, 2018. Photo by REUTERS/Feisal Omar

MOGADISHU, Somalia - An airstrike coordinated by the Somali National Army (SNA) destroyed Al-Shabaab's makeshift bridge, officials said, noting the significance of the target, which was being used by the group to connect many areas in middle regions.

According to officials, the Al-Shabaab fighters used the bridge as the link within central regions, making movements easier in the Middle Shabelle region where an intense operation is taking place following new infiltration into the region by the militants.

The strike also killed militants and destroyed vehicles, according to the statement. In recent months, intense fighting has been witnessed in central Somalia after the local military and international partners activated operations on the frontlines.

Somali intelligence officials also believe that the al-Shabaab attack on Bal’ad town on Feb 27 was a decoy as the militants were transporting a large number of fighters in the vicinity of Yaaqle to move north into the Middle Shabelle region where fighting has been intense recently.

Last month, the local media reported that with support from African Union troops from Burundi, Somali government forces fought back and removed al-Shabaab fighters who entered Balad earlier this morning. Multiple casualties have been reported.

To neutralize the militants, the US Africa Command together with the federal government of Somalia, have frequently launched airstrikes within the central regions as a wider strategy to neutralize the al-Shabaab, a group fighting painfully to dislodge the federal government.

Al-Shabaab's capacity has been significantly neutralized following sustained military operations, but the group can still wage small-scale sporadic attacks — usually targeting security forces, senior government officials, and innocent civilians.

The Somali National Army has heavily relied on backup from the US Africa Command and the African Union Support and Stabilization Mission in Somalia (AUSSOM) but the regions have drastically reduced their presence ahead of the much anticipated exit.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

Somalia: Clashes erupt outside Baidoa between federal troops and forces loyal to ousted SouthWest leader

The Somali government held a disputed election in the southern city, for which the results have not yet been announced. 

  • Somalia

    22-05-2026

  • 11:39AM

Somalia: Puntland Accuses Hassan Sheikh of Illegally Remaining in Office

The accusation was made in a communique issued following a cabinet meeting in Garowe, chaired by Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni.

  • Somalia

    21-05-2026

  • 05:44PM