US carries out strike against ISIS in Somalia

Image

BOSASO, Somalia - The US military carried out an air strike Saturday against ISIS in the Puntland region of Somalia, killing several ISIS operatives, Africa Command said.

In a statement, the European-based command said the latest raid was conducted in coordination with the Somali government and hit “multiple ISIS-Somalia targets.”

The ISIS group’s Somalia operation is relatively small compared to the al-Qaeda-linked extremists al-Shabaab, but it has been gaining strength in Puntland.

“The airstrike occurred southeast of Bosasso, Puntland, in Northeastern Somalia,” the AFRICOM statement said.

“AFRICOM’s initial assessment is that multiple ISIS-Somalia operatives were killed and no civilians were harmed,” it said.

The latest strike follows a similar operation two days earlier that AFRICOM said complemented “a larger counter-terrorism initiative” underway in Somalia.

And it follows US strikes in February, which Puntland authorities said had killed “key figures” in ISIS, without giving further details.

With AFP

 

Related Articles

Somalia: Clashes erupt outside Baidoa between federal troops and forces loyal to ousted SouthWest leader

The Somali government held a disputed election in the southern city, for which the results have not yet been announced. 

  • Somalia

    22-05-2026

  • 11:39AM

Somalia: Puntland Accuses Hassan Sheikh of Illegally Remaining in Office

The accusation was made in a communique issued following a cabinet meeting in Garowe, chaired by Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni.

  • Somalia

    21-05-2026

  • 05:44PM