Puntland accuses Somalia Govt of blocking transfer of pirates ‘convicted in Iran’

Image

GAROWE, Somalia, September 7, 2015 (Garowe Online)-Puntland Counter-Piracy Director Abdirizak Mohamed Dirir (Du’aysane) has accused Somalia’s Federal Government of blocking piracy-transfer efforts, Garowe Online reports.

In an interview with Puntland-based independent station, Radio Garowe, Dirir said Mogadishu-based federal government prevented the transfer of additional 32 inmates convicted of high seas crimes in Iran.

He said, he has long worked on a plan that would have seen Somali pirates transferred over to Danish-funded prison facility in the state capital of Garowe.

Somali authorities have not responded to a plea by Iran which seeks that the pirates be extradited to complete their prison sentences in Somalia.

Puntland previously received close to a hundred convicted pirates from the African Island, Seychelles.

The piracy transfer plan is said to be waiting for parliamentary approval.

The northeastern state which was once a hotbed is boasting that it will be capable of securing key maritime routes if NATO counter-piracy operations off Somalia coast end. 

GAROWE ONLINE 

Related Articles

Puntland President Meets With U.N. Envoy Amid Political Tension in Somalia

Puntland has previously voiced concerns over the centralization of power and the lack of consensus surrounding the constitutional process.

  • Puntland

    26-08-2025

  • 12:24PM

Somalia: Puntland Forces Step Up Pressure on ISIS as Trapped Militants Face Surrender Deadline

The joint strikes focused on leadership hideouts in the Golis Mountains, a remote area known to harbor high-ranking militants.

  • Puntland

    26-08-2025

  • 07:06AM