Somalia: Puntland Marine Forces seize Yemeni, Iranian vessels

Image

BOSSASO, Somalia, October 17, 2015 (Garowe Online)-Puntland Marine Forces have seized six fishing vessels in operation conducted a few miles off the coast of Bossaso port city on Saturday, Garowe Online reports.

Three of the six illegal fishing vessels are owned by Yemeni sailors while the three others were carrying Iranian fishers.

Puntland Maritime Police Force (PMPF) Commander, Abdirizak Dirie Farah told reporters at Bossaso port that the six boats have not been given licenses to fish in territorial waters.

“Each fishing vessel is carrying [our valuable stocks]. The foreign [fishermen estimated to be over 100] will face legal action,” said Farah.

Earlier this week, fishermen in the Indian Ocean town of Bargal complained of foreign trawlers proliferating at an alarming rate.

Illegal fishing, largely practiced by Yemeni dhows, Iranians and other Asian countries has threatened the livelihoods of coastal communities, and could risk the return of pirate scourge according to officials.

GAROWE ONLINE 

Related Articles

Court in Somalia’s Galkayo Sentences Woman to Death for Killing of 14-Year-Old Girl

Sabiriin’s body, which had not been buried while the trial was ongoing, is expected to be released to her family on Monday afternoon for burial.

  • Puntland

    24-11-2025

  • 01:35PM

Somalia: Puntland forces seize last ISIS hideout, detain two Somali fighters

The two men were among a small number of Somali fighters who had been sheltering in the Baallade valley.

  • Puntland

    22-11-2025

  • 07:33PM