Pentagon: US drone strike hits training camp in Somalia

Image

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon says a U.S. drone strike on Saturday struck a training camp for al-Shabab fighters in Somalia who were preparing to launch a large-scale attack, likely against African or U.S. personnel.

Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, says the strike hit Raso Camp, killing more than 150 fighters. He says the U.S. was watching the camp for weeks. He says it appeared that the training was ending and the operational phase of a suspected attack was about to start.

Davis says the training camp, about 120 miles north of Mogadishu, was destroyed.

The al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab has been linked to a number of attacks, including the detonation of a bomb aboard a commercial passenger jet last month that forced the plane to make an emergency landing in Mogadishu.

AP

Related Articles

Somalia: MP accuses Minister of Family & Human Rights Development of double standards

Kooshin also offered condolences to the family of the woman who died at Hargeisa General Hospital.

  • Somalia

    16-08-2026

  • 05:16AM

Somalia: Qoor Qoor Praises Puntland for Cooperation With Galmudug

His comments come amid renewed tensions between Galmudug and Puntland over political and security issues in Mudug.

  • Somalia

    15-08-2026

  • 02:33PM