US suspends support for Somalia's elite Danab commandos, sources say

Image

MOGADISHU, Somalia, Sept 16 – Reliable sources have told Garowe Online that the United States has suspended its support for Somalia’s elite Danab special forces, a key unit within the Somali National Army trained and equipped by Washington.

The decision comes amid broader concerns over accountability and coordination within Somalia’s security sector, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue.

The move follows a previous suspension of U.S. funding for the African Union Mission in Somalia (AUSSOM), previously known as ATMIS, which has played a central role in the fight against Al-Shabaab militants.

The Danab commandos have been widely regarded as one of Somalia’s most effective units in counterterrorism operations, often leading offensives against Al-Shabaab in central and southern Somalia.

There has been no official statement yet from the U.S. government or Somali authorities regarding the suspension.

The development raises concerns about the future of Somalia’s security operations at a time when the country is preparing for the full withdrawal of ATMIS troops by the end of 2024 and attempting to assume full responsibility for national security.

GAROWE ONLINE

Related Articles

Somalia says UAE halts security support after agreements scrapped

Despite the suspension of security support, Abdisalam said diplomatic relations between the two countries remain intact.

  • Somalia

    17-02-2026

  • 08:43AM

Qatari Military Cargo Plane Lands in Mogadishu Amid Shifting Horn of Africa Alliances

Beyond immediate security assistance, Ankara’s involvement has taken on a strategic long-term dimension.

  • Somalia

    16-02-2026

  • 01:39PM