Dozens drown in shipwrecks off Greece

Image

At least 42 migrants have drowned overnight in two separate shipwrecks in the Aegean Sea, officials say.

One boat went down off the coast of the small Greek islet of Kalolimnos, killing 34 people, including 11 children.

Another eight people died after a boat sank off the island of Farmakonisi.

More than a million migrants arrived in Europe illegally last year. More than 700 died in the Aegean crossing from Turkey to Greece.

At least another 100 have died in the Aegean this year.

German and Turkish leaders reaffirmed their commitment to tackling the migrant crisis at a joint cabinet meeting in Berlin on Friday.

The German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, pledged to ensure Turkey would receive more than €3bn (£2.1bn; $3.3bn) promised by the EU in return for strengthening its border controls.

On Thursday, French Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned that Europe's migration crisis was putting the European Union at grave risk.

Mr Valls told the BBC that Europe could not take all the refugees fleeing wars in Iraq or Syria. If it did, he said, it could "destabilise our societies".

READ FULL REPORT

Related Articles

U.S. President Trump orders green cards from Somalia, other countries of "concern" to be reexamined

"Hundreds of thousands of Somalians [sic] are ripping off our country and ripping apart that once great state," Mr Trump said. 

  • World

    28-11-2025

  • 02:17PM

Ilhan Omar, Minnesota DFL Leaders Condemn Trump’s Attack on Somali Community

Addressing nearly 400 Somali TPS holders in Minnesota, Omar said she would do “everything possible” to defend the state’s Somali community.

  • World

    25-11-2025

  • 12:09PM